I have been wanting to make my own raw vegan chocolate for some time and I'm so glad I did. This chocolate is amazing - it has a slightly fudgy texture, a great mix between sweet and bitter and is really quick to whip up. I'm a bit of a chocolate addict and this is a wholesome alternative to unhealthy store-bought varieties. I love mint and I think the peppermint oil compliments the dark chocolate flavour really well.
- 1 cup organic cacao butter
- 5 drops organic peppermint essential oil
- 3/4 cup cacao
- 3 heaped tbs rice malt syrup
- Use a double-boiler (I set up a small saucepan with about an inch of boiling water covered by a large bowl) to melt the cacao butter.
- When the cacao butter is completely melted add in rice malt syrup and heat for an additional couple of minutes to allow the syrup to become runnier and combine with the cacao butter.
- Add the peppermint oil and cacao and stir until well-combined.
- Pour into chocolate moulds or anything you have on hand (I lined a loaf tray with baking paper)
- Allow to set completely in the fridge.
This chocolate is low GI, raw, vegan, gluten free, environmentally friendly yet super tasty. It is the perfect alternative to high sugar, high fat chocolates from the supermarket and is free from all the preservatives and other nasties that get packed into them. The fudgy, rich taste means that you don't need much - the perfect chocolate fix. I will definitely be experimenting with different flavours so stay tuned for more raw chocolate recipes!