I love to have some kind of snacks with me in my handbag to snack on throughout the day and making your own trail mix is so easy and much more economical that buying ready-made mixes. This would also make a great homemade present for upcoming christmas. You can customise however you like and it makes a nourishing snack and great alternative to really sugary or salty snacks!
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried 100% strawberries, chopped into chunky pieces
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried 100% peaches, chopped into chunky pieces (I buy the freeze-dried fruit from Asian groceries)
- 1 1/2 cups roasted almonds
- 3/4 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- Roast the nuts and coconut until the coconut starts to lightly brown.
- Allow nuts to cool completely and then combine with all the other ingredients.
Almonds are an amazing nutritional snack, which are packed with numerous minerals. They have also been found to play a beneficial role in maintenance of brain health and brain development. They have numerous other health benefits including increasing good cholesterol and decreasing bad cholesterol, increasing durability and strength of bones and teeth because of their phosphorus content and maintenance of heart health.