I'm a bit of a chocoholic and I am also a huge breakfast lover so for me this really is the perfect way to start the day. Adding just a couple of tablespoons of cacao to the toasted muesli mix makes it feel much more decadent yet doesn't add any additional sugars and boosts the antioxidants. My favourite way to eat it is as a topping on a smoothie bowl (as pictured in the photos) but it also makes well with some milk or yoghurt or sometimes I even just take some in a container and snack on it during the day.
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 cups organic flaked coconut
- 2 heaped tbs cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almond oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 handfuls of chopped nuts of your preference
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the rice malt syrup, oil and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Spread evenly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes to make sure to top doesn't burn.
Cacao is a great source of antioxidants with a higher level that acai berries or spinach. The high antioxidant content helps to protect the heart and helps to prevent cellular damage. Cacao is also a great source of magnesium, and contains copper, calcium, iron, potassium and zinc.