I have been doing lots of experimenting with vegan chocolate lately and with this recipe I definitely hit a winner. The dark chocolate with the wild orange essential oil creates a smooth jaffa flavour. Also, using rice malt syrup is a great alternative to any other sweetener as it is 100% fructose free and gives a really delicious subtle sweetness.
- 1 cup organic cacao butter
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 heaped tbs rice malt syrup
- About 7 drops organic orange essential oil
- In a double-boiler melt the cacao butter
- When the cacao butter is completely melted add the rice malt syrup and stir for an additional 2 minutes to allow the syrup to soften and combine
- Turn off the heat and stir through the cacao powder and essential oil.
- Pour into chocolate moulds or whatever containers you have on hand and allow to set completely (minimum or 4 hours but I usually just leave them overnight) in the fridge.
I love to use rice malt syrup in the baking I do as it gives sweetness, is made from 100% organic brown rice and is 100% fructose free. Fructose is what causes insulin spikes and then subsequent blood sugar crashes and in contrast rice malt syrup contains sugars that are released slowly, providing more long-lasting energy. As well as this rice malt syrup is suitable for vegans.