I made this caramel slice at my mums wellness retreat a couple of months ago and it was a hit so I thought I would have to share the recipe here. It tastes incredibly similar to the ridiculously unhealthy version and is really quite simple to whip up.
- 1 cup dates (for the base) + 1 cup (for the caramel)
- 3/4 cup almonds or walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (for the caramel) + 1/4 cup (for the chocolate)
- 1 1/2 tbs unhulled tahini (or nut butter if you can't get a hold of tahini)
- 1 cup raw cashews (covered in filtered water and placed in the fridge for at least one hour, and then rinsed)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup (for the caramel) + 1/4 cup (for the chocolate)
- 1/4 raw cacao powder
- Pulse walnuts/almonds in a food processor until it it very finely chopped.
- Add the dates and pulse until well combined.
- Press this mixture into a lined or greased (with coconut oil) slice tin.
- Place in the freezer.
- In a food processor place soaked cashews, tahini, dates, rice malt syrup, water and coconut oil and blend until it forms a very smooth paste.
- Spread the paste over the base and return to the freezer to set completely.
- For the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat combine the coconut oil, cacao and rice malt syrup and stir until it resembles a chocolate sauce.
- Spread the chocolate over the set caramel and put in the freezer to set.
- Slice into small piece and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
This is a great recipe to impress your friends and family. It looks and tastes decadent but is full of nourishing ingredients.