I have been deathly sick for the last couple of days and barely able to get out of bed let alone cook anything yummy. I'm seriously hoping I'm on the tail end of my sickness now though and I'm trying to feed myself with nourishing fresh food to give my body the best chance to fight back. I just made two of these smashed avocado + feta toasts for lunch and they are so fresh and flavoursome. I'm a sucker for good feta and combined with the creaminess of the avocado and the crunchiness of the seeded toast it is super yummy.
- 1 or 2 slices of good quality seeded bread, toasted
- 1 ripe avocado, roughly smashed with a fork
- About 40g roughly crumbled feta
- About 6 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Smash the avocado in a small bowl then gently mix through the feta and mint. Don't mix too much or you won't have any larger chunks of feta left.
- Toast the bread.
- Cover the toast in the avocado + feta mix and then add a squeeze of fresh lemon
Avocado has a delicious creamy texture and taste, which is due to its high fat content, however the majority of this fat is monounsaturated oleic acid. Oleic acid is considered a 'good fat' because of its cholesterol-lowering effect and associated lowered risk of stroke and heart disease. Avocado is also quite a good source of protein and has a low sugar content. They are also a rich source of potassium and dietary fibre.