With easter coming up and in preparation for large amounts of chocolate I thought I would come up with a treat that can be enjoyed without feeling guilty but still being sweet, yummy and festive. I really enjoyed these - they have the consistency of a chunk of chocolate but with a nice coconut and peppermint flavour. For this recipe I would suggest using a high quality peppermint oil, rather than a peppermint essence, as it gives a better flavour and aroma, in my opinion.
- 3/4 cup coconut butter (I used homemade coconut butter and I will be posting a recipe up soon - its super easy and much more affordable)
- 2 tbs honey (can be substituted for agave or maple syrup)
- 10 drops peppermint oil
- If the coconut butter is hard soften it on the stove or simply place the jar in a bowl filled with boiling water for a few minutes.
- Combine everything together, mixing well to make sure the peppermint oil is evenly distributed
- Fill moulds with the mixture
- Place in the fridge or freezer and wait for them to harden up
- You can keep them in the fridge or freezer. They will last for ages - if you can resist.
Evidence suggests that peppermint is useful for relieving stomach trouble including stomach cramps, nausea and even irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). There is also research suggesting that peppermint is great for curbing cravings - perfect after-dinner treat to stop snacking. Peppermint oil is also often used in relieving tension headaches, improving concentration and relieving a stuffy nose.