I made this for brunch a couple of days ago and it was delicious - so filling and nourishing - the perfect way to start the day. I love the combination of spinach and ricotta and topped with a sprinkle of parmesan really finishes it off. Starting the day with a protein-packed breaky/brunch like this is ideal... giving you energy to last.
- 1 egg + 2 extra egg whites
- Large handful of fresh baby spinach
- Aproximately 50-60g ricotta
- Sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Small amount of butter/olive oil/coconut oil
- Beat egg whites until white and fluffy
- Gently fold through the egg yolk, salt and pepper, spinach and ricotta
- In a small frying pan melt the butter or oil and then add the frittata mixture and spread till it is even
- Cook on a low-medium heat until the bottom starts to turn a golden brown colour
- Sprinkle with parmesan and then finish off cooking the top under the grill in the oven
Eating a breakfast/brunch high in protein is beneficial for increasing satiety. It is proposed that high-protein meal releases ghrelin, a hunger hormone that reduces the urge to eat by increasing fullness and satiety. It has also been proposed that eating a filling meal for breakfast will result in healthier food choices made throughout the day. Eating a high-protein breakfast also aids in kick-starting your metabolism, allowing you to burn more kilojoules throughout the day.