Green smoothies are an amazing way to increase your intake of wholesome green vegetables while still tasting fresh and delicious. This green smoothie was just a throw-together recipe of things I had around the apartment but it turned out really sweet and delicious. I also tend to prefer smoothies over juices because you retain more of the fibre, making it much more filling and wholesome.
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 1 large handful of frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 3 or 4 ice cubes
- Approximately 3/4 cup coconut water or filtered water
- In a blender combine all ingredients and blend until it is smooth
- Add more water/coconut water if the consistency is too thick
- Pour into a glass or mason jar and enjoy. Mason jars with lids work really well if you want to take the smoothie out with you to work or school as a snack later in the day.
Raw lemon juice is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin C, making it great for digestion, aiding the immune system and helping wounds heal faster. Pineapple is also a great source of vitamin C and contains vitamin A, calcium and iron. Pineapple is also the only known source of bromelain, which is an enzyme that research suggests can alleviate arthritis, joint pain, inflammation and inhibit tumour growth.