This is yet another type of vegan date + nut balls and it has to be one of my favourite variations. They are so quick to whip up and are perfect to keep in the fridge as a healthier sweet snack throughout the week. They only contain 4 ingredients, are vegan and if you choose not to roast the nuts they are also raw (but I think this step is pretty essential to really accentuate the hazelnut flavour).
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- 1 cup dates (soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes and then drained)
- 2 heaped tbs raw cacao
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- In a food processor blend the nuts until they are finely chopped.
- Add the dates and cacao and blend until it is completely combined and starts to form a ball in the processor.
- Take small spoonfuls and roll into little balls and cover in the coconut.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Keep stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks!
Hazelnuts are a great source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A and B vitamins. They are also a great source of calcium, potassium and magnesium as well as containing the healthier fat oleic acid, which can aid in lowering bad LDL cholesterol and increasing levels of good HDL cholesterol. They are also a source of phytochemicals, which may help to improve circulation, aid brain development and reduce the symptoms of allergies.