These are a simple twist on my favourite raw and vegan chocolate balls. Adding some natural strawberry essence gives them another dimension of flavour and creates a super nutritious and tasty sweet treat! I like to have a couple to snack on throughout the day and they are also great with a cup of tea. They also last for ages in the fridge so you can whip up a big batch and grab a couple when a sweet craving hits.
- 1 tsp natural strawberry essence
- 1 cup dates, either fresh or soaked for 15 minutes if dried
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- Desiccated coconut, to roll the balls in
- Using a food processor blend the walnuts until chopped into fine pieces
- Add the the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.
- Roll into small balls and coat in coconut
- Allow to cool in the fridge
Walnuts are a great source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Studies have also shown that the antioxidants and phytosterols in walnuts may play a role in reducing the risk of breast cancer. The omega 3's in walnuts have also been shown to be beneficial in reducing risks for cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and depression as well as countering inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and Crohn's disease.