I am a big fan of anything involving chocolate and I have always been a fan of rocky road. This recipe is a healthier alternative to the highly refined, sugar and fat laden version you can buy from a store. It is also a great recipe to whip up for upcoming Valentines day to share with someone you love.
- 1 cup cacao butter, melted
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 tbs rosewater
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup sour cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped macadamias
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- Dried rose petals to sprinkle over the top of the slice
- In a blender process the melted cacao butter, vanilla, sea salt, rosewater and rice malt syrup until pale and creamy.
- Add the cacao and blend for a few more seconds until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl and add the cherries/cranberries, macadamias and almond meal.
- Spread evenly in a lined slice tin.
- Sprinkle the rose petals on top of the slice.
- Allow the slice to set in the freezer for at least an hour before slicing.
Cacao has benefits for the skin, mood, heart health and renal health. Cacao contains phenylethylamine, serotonin and dopamine which have been shown to improve mood, increase feelings of pleasure and improve mental alertness. Cacao has been shown to lower blood pressure slightly and also add as a kidney protector by increasing renal medullary oxygenation.