Raw cacao is such an amazing ingredient - it is packed with antioxidants and is very wholesome yet simply adding a couple of tsp's to a smoothie (or acai bowl like I have done here) gives a delicious complex chocolate flavour. It takes literally a minute to whip this up so I think it is a great breaky to kick-start the day and you can top with whatever you desire.
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 heaped tbs vanilla yoghurt
- 2 heaped tsp acai powder
- 2 heaped tsp cacao powder
- Any toppings you desire (fruit, granola, muesli, nuts, dried fruit, coconut flakes)
- Simply add all the ingredients to a blender and whizz until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and top with your desired toppings
Cacao contains huge amounts of antioxidants – in fact it scores a higher ORAC (measure of antioxidant amounts) that acai, blueberries or spinach. These high antioxidant levels are beneficial for preventing cellular damage, protecting the heart and destroying harmful free radicals. They may also aid in lowering cholesterol as it contains oleic acid. As well as this cacao is a great source of magnesium and contains copper, calcium, iron, potassium and zinc.