I am back from our 5-month trip around the world and am excited to get back into healthy eating and exercising. Even before we left I had been meaning to try maca powder and incorporating it into some of my recipes so my first post since being back is a choc-berry maca smoothie. I had it for breakfast this morning and it was super quick to whip up and really delicious. The only thing is it's quite cold to eat and I'm not quite used to the cold Melbourne weather again yet so I had to have it accompanied with a big steaming mug of tea!
- 1 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 1/2 banana
- 2 heaped tsp cacao powder
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp maca powder
- Approximately 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or Nutribullet.
- Blend until smooth and well-combined. Add more milk if necessary.
- Pour into a glass to enjoy as a smoothie drink or into a bowl and add toppings to enjoy as a smoothie bowl.
Smoothies are one of my favourite ways to start the day and I think they are a great way to add extra supplements, leafy greens or healthy oils to your diet. Maca powder is a great source of additional energy and therefore perfect in a smoothie to kick-start your day or as a snack throughout the day when you need a bit of perking up. Maca is full of vitamins, including B, C and E. It also contains iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and amino acids. It also plays a positive role in sexual functioning (such as fertility and sexual desire) and does great things for women's health and moods.