This slice is SO good. It tastes incredibly decadent but is full of nourishing ingredients and combines two of my all-time favourite flavours - peppermint + chocolate. And it gets even better.... it takes about 10 minutes to whip up.... it is raw.... and it is vegan.
- 1 cup dates, soaked in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups almonds (or you could use walnuts, or a combination of the two. Although the recipe technically is no longer raw I think using roasted almonds adds amazing flavour!)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3 heaped tbs raw cacao
- 4-5 drops peppermint essential oil
- About 100g vegan dark chocolate (you can either buy a ready-made block or whip up your own chocolate with 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup raw cacao and 4 heaped tbs rice malt syrup/maple syrup)
- In a small bowl add the dates and hot water and stand them aside to soak.
- In a food processor or blender process the nuts until in very fine pieces.
- Add the coconut and cacao and process for a few more seconds.
- Add the soaked dates and peppermint essential oil and process until well combined. If the mix is too dry you can add a couple more dates or even a tiny splash of water.
- Press down into a slice tray and place in the freezer
- Melt the chocolate and spread over the slice and then allow to set completely.
- Chop into small pieces and store in the fridge...and try not to eat it all in one night...
Ingesting peppermint essential oil has been demonstrated to be good for digestion and removing excess gas. It can also aid with people who suffer from low appetite, motion sickness and nausea. Combined with the chocolately flavour of cacao, peppermint is so delicious. Cacao is also an amazing ingredient to utilise because it is extremely high in antioxidants as well as containing oleic acid, which has been linked to lowering cholesterol.