I really enjoy having a larger warm lunch when possible and yesterday I decided to come home from uni between classes and whip up a nice lunch. Using zucchini as an alternative to pasta is a definite favourite of mine - it is super quick to whip up and you can create heaps of different flavour combinations.
- 1 large zucchini, peeled or cut into long thin strips
- 1 tbs pesto (you can use my recipe for basic herb pesto)
- 1 handful cooked chicken, chopped or shredded into small pieces
- 30g feta, roughly crumbled
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- In a small non-stick frying pan lightly heat the chicken and zucchini for a couple of minutes until the chicken heats through and the zucchini starts to soften slightly.
- Add the pesto and spinach and stir through until the leaves start to wilt.
- Crumble the feta over the top and stir through so it starts to melt and turns slightly creamy.
Zucchini 'pasta' is a great alternative to regular pasta. Zucchini’s are a great source of vitamin A and vitamin C, as well as potassium, which is an important electrolyte in helping reduce blood pressure and heart rate by counteracting the effects of sodium. They are great for people trying to loose weight because of their high water content yet significant amounts of dietary fibre.