I love an amazing smoothie but my favourite is to add some delicious toppings for some extra crunch and flavour. I thought I would try something different from the normal nuts, fruit or granola. I love trying to recreate conventional foods into much healthier and wholesome versions and these 'cacao pops' had the delicious chocolate crunch of cocoa pops but without the sickly sweet sugary flavour. Ingredients -
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice puffs
- 1 tbs rice malt syrup, heated to make sure it is runny
- 1 heaped tbs cacao poweder
- 1 tbs coconut oil, melted
- Melt the rice malt syrup and coconut oil in a mixing bowl
- Add the cacao and mix until well-combined
- Add the rice puffs and stir through until all the puffs are well coated
- Bake in a 150 degree Celsius oven for approximately 10 minutes (this ensures they become really crunchy)
- Allow to cool completely and then store in an airtight container.
Cacao is an amazing source of antioxidants and contains oleic acid, which has been linked to lower cholesterol. Rice malt syrup is a great alternative to processed sugar as it is low in fructose and isn't overly sweet. I think its important not to deprive yourself but there are always ways to improve on conventional foods and its always better when its homemade!