I love that it is starting to warm up a bit and the summery fruits are starting to make an appearance. I thought I would make the most of it and put together a little fruit compote to have with my breakfast this morning. Rather than a sugary syrup though I combined some rosewater and freeze dried strawberry powder and then tossed the fruit through that. It was super delicious and would make a great simple summer dessert or would be eaten as a light breakfast with some yoghurt or as a topping for pancakes or waffles. Yum!
- Whatever summer fruit you have - I used chopped nectarine, strawberries and some raspberries
- 2 tsp rose water
- 1 heaped tsp freeze dried strawberry powder
- Chop the fruit in small pieces
- In a small mixing bowl combine the berry powder and rosewater until it forms a kind of runny paste
- Add the fruit and mix until all the fruit is coated
I love using rose water - it adds a really luxurious taste and beautiful aroma. Combined with the berry powder it created a really tasty and sweet compote coating. Compotes are really versatile - they can be eaten as a fruit salad for breakfast topped with yoghurt, a topping for pancakes or waffles or you could even top with a crumble topping and bake in the oven for a delicious dessert.