One of my favourite ways to start off the day is with a smoothie bowl. I often feel like a smoothie alone doesn't really do it for me - I need to have the chewing action to feel like I am eating . Therefore 95% of the time I make my smoothies a bit thicker, top with granola/muesli/nuts and eat with a spoon. I love that with smoothie bowls you can throw together whatever you have, customize it and you have a super healthy and really pretty breakfast.
- 1 large handful frozen mango chunks (or you can substitute for 1 small frozen banana)
- 1 large handful frozen strawberries
- 1 heaped tsp strawberry powder
- 2 heaped tbs greek yoghurt (or for a vegan alternative you can use coconut yoghurt)
- 3/4 cup coconut water or almond milk or regular filtered water
- Toppings of your desire (I topped with the strawberry coconut muesli from my previous post)
- Throw everything together in a blender (except the toppings) and blend together until smooth
- Pour into a bowl and add your toppings of choice
The bright red to strawberries contains anthocyanins that research suggests has fat-burning properties. It is also thought that these anthocyanins boost short term memory. Strawberries are also low in calories so are great for people looking to loose weight. As well as this they are packed with antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals, and free of cholesterol, sodium and fat.