This was my yummy breakfast this morning and it was so so good. Porridge is a really nourishing way to kickstart your day but I can not stand if it is boring and bland so I always have to find ways to spice it up a bit. This porridge looks pretty, takes mere minutes to whip up and will you energy to last.
Ingredients (for 1 serve) -
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 or 2 tbs chia seeds
- Approximately 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 heaped cup frozen berries
- 1 large handful frozen mango chunks, thawed
- About 3 or 4 chopped strawberries
- In a blender blitz the mango chunks until it forms a smooth consistency. If its too think you can add a splash of water and blitz again.
- In a small saucepan add oats, water and chia seeds and cook on a medium heat, stirring consistently. When almost ready add in the frozen berries and vanilla and stir through to make sure the berries are thawed.
- Pour porridge in a bowl and top with the mango coulis and chopped fresh strawberries.
Porridge is a nice warming way to start a cold wintery day. It has a high content of dietary fibre and therefore will keep you feeling full for a long time. The addition of the fruit and chia seeds also increases the fibre content and also an abundance of vitamins and minerals as well as some natural sweetness. It is also a good source of energy, containing slowly-digested carbohydrates. Porridge is also a good source of iron, phosphorus (which aids in muscle recovery - perfect for after a workout), calcium and vitamin A.