I have just started uni again (my last semester of undergraduate!) and a couple of times in the last few days I found myself craving a bit of a snack between lectures. My uni is pretty good and does have some healthier snack alternatives available but it can be pretty expensive - for a single healthy muesli bar it is around $3.50...so I decided to whip up some of my own. Just to make it a bit interesting I added some raspberry puree and they turned out really well (not to mention way more affordable). They are also gluten free, raw, vegan and refined sugar free!
- 3/4 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water for at least 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup raspberry puree (I simply used from defrosted frozen raspberries)
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 heaped tbs cacao
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until it forms a kind of dough and is well-combined
- Press evenly into a lined loaf tin
- Place in the fridge for about 2 hours to set
- Cut into bars and store in the fridge.
Raspberries are a great source of antioxidants, fibre, phytonutrients, magnesium, iron, zinc and potassium. They are also great for boosting the immune system with their high vitamin C content. Cacao is also an amazing source of antioxidants, which helps prevent cellular damage and protects the heart. Cacao may also have a cholesterol-lowering effect, because of it's oleic acid concentration.