These are really yummy - they taste super decadent but are packed full of nutritious ingredients and a great alternative to other chocolates or junk foods. They are a variation on the date and walnut balls I have made previously and if you use raw chocolate they are totally raw + vegan!
Ingredients (to make 8-10 balls) -
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh dates or dried dates soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes
- 2 tbs raw cacao
- 1 heaped tbs natural peanut butter
- 50g dark chocolate, melted (85% cacao)
- In a food processor blend together walnuts, cacao, dates and peanut butter
- Roll into small balls and allow to set in the fridge
- Melt the chocolate and coat the balls in chocolate
- Allow to set in the fridge. They can then be stored in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
Having a small amount of peanut butter is a great way to up your protein intake. This high protein content is great for satiety as well as providing energy and aids in repairing and building muscle. Peanut butter is also a great source of potassium, which may counteract some of the harmful effects of excess sodium in the body.