This iced chocolate milk is super rich, a great balance between sweet and bitter and super refreshing. The peppermint oil creates another level of flavour that I think works really well. This recipe is also vegan and packed full of nourishing ingredients. It's also delicious served warm as a hot chocolate.
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 heaped tbs rice malt syrup
- 3 tbs raw cacao
- 1/2 cup water
- About 4 drops peppermint oil
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low to medium heat
- Whisk together to ensure everything is well combined
- Stir until heated through
- Pour into glasses and put in the fridge to cool
- Serve with some ice cubes and enjoy!
Cacao contains huge amounts of antioxidants - in fact it scores a higher ORAC (measure of antioxidant amounts) that acai, blueberries or spinach. These high antioxidant levels are beneficial for preventing cellular damage, protecting the heart and destroying harmful free radicals. They may also aid in lowering cholesterol as it contains oleic acid. As well as this cacao is a great source of magnesium and contains copper, calcium, iron, potassium and zinc.