I hope everyone is having a great easter! It's a great opportunity to catch up with friends and family, enjoy some good food, and indulge in a bit of chocolate - which is exactly what I have been up to. This is a recipe I have been wanting to try for a long time and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. These brownies taste rich and indulgent but are in fact really quite good for you.
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut to sprinkle on top
- Simply combine all the ingredients (except for the chocolate chips and coconut) together in a food processor and process until you get a smooth batter.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips and then pour into a lined slice tray.
- Sprinkle with coconut and the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
Black beans are rich in numerous vitamins and minerals. As well as this they are high in fibre, folate, protein and antioxidants. Because of the high quantity of both fibre and protein, black beans aid in moving food through the intestines at a healthier pace, maximising digestive health. This also aids in blood sugar regulation. The abundance of soluble fibre in black beans is also beneficial for cardiovascular health as it has been found to aid in lowering blood cholesterol levels.