I've been wanting to give homemade cashew cream a go for a while now and I finally got around to it! It's a great alternative to cream or yoghurt for those who are vegan or lactose intolerant. It works well on muesli, on top of fruit or to top off a piece of cake.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup filtered water + extra to soak cashews in
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or you could use seeds from a vanilla pod)
- Over the cashews in water and soak for at least 3 hours or overnight is possible
- Simply blend all the ingredients together until you get a smooth, creamy consistency (you can add a bit more water if you want the cream to be runnier)
- Eat up straight away or store in a sterilised container in the fridge for up to 1 week
Such an easy recipe! Cashews are a rich source of micronutrients including selenium, magnesium, iron, zinc and phosphorus. As well as these they are good sources of protein, antioxidants and phytochemicals. Research suggests that cashews may also be beneficial in maintaining heart health, aiding cancer prevention, optimising hair, skin and bone health, and beneficial for our nerves.